ABOUT THE PROGRAM OF STUDY
In the modern world it is unimaginable for the educational system to function successfully, especially the University and the entire educational and scientific-research process, without a synchronized and complemented development of the modern library work and the development of modern libraries as eternal temples of wisdom and knowledge.
Training qualified educated staff in the frames of the institutional education is essential for the modern librarianship. Bearing in mind that the Faculty of Pedagogy “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje functions according to the standards of the Bologna Declaration, in the academic year 2010-2011, it expanded its field by opening a new group of study for librarianship, whose scientific-research area covers the humanistic sciences.
Since there were changes in the sphere of education, it became obvious that there is a need for changes and addition of the program of study. For this purpose, in the school year 2013-2014, a new program of study for Librarianship was accredited. The new program of study is modernized and adapted to the Rulebook for mandatory components that the programs of study from the first cycle of study need to have (Official Gazette No. 25/2011 and Official Gazette, No. 146/2011).
The program of study lasts four years, i.e. eight semesters and it contains mandatory and elective subjects. The mandatory subjects come from the corresponding area of the Institute of Librarianship. They are involved in 60% of the total number of subjects, 30% are elective subjects from the Faculty of Pedagogy, and 10% are elective subjects that the students choose from the list of free elective subjects of the University “Ss. Cyril and Methodius” – Skopje.
After graduation, the student acquires 240 ECTS- credits and the title Bachelor of Librarianship.
An objective of the studies of Librarianship is to train modern profile of librarians – a profile which is completely in deficit in our country. The new profile of the graduated students will be largely determined by the modern trends in librarianship, the new world strategies for development of the libraries, the modern management of librarian work, the Manifest of UNESCO for the School Libraries, the Ethical Norm of the Libraries and many other international and national documents that are necessary for successful and modern librarianship.
The second cycle of studies for librarianship, which is continuation of the first cycle of librarianship studies, is an important step forward in the training of librarians, especially in function of their further scientific research development.
The main and essential objective of the Institute of Librarianship is training modern staff with high education that meets the requirements of the new century, a staff that is ready to be the main carrier and impetus of all modern flows and tendencies in the library processes, i.e. the entire library work.
Prof. Mito Spasevski, PhD
Head of the Institute of Librarianship
1.1. Professional title
After completing the program of study for librarianship, the student is awarded the title Bachelor of Librarianship.
1.2. General descriptors of the qualifications
|Knowledge and understanding||-Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the social and cultural dimension of the educational / cultural-educational institution.
-Knows, understands and distinguishes the educational and functional objectives in the realization of the activities of the educational / cultural-educational institution.
|Use of the knowledge and understanding||– Is trained to do academic reading and writing and applies the standards for orthography and orthoepy.
-Can use the functional language literacy and recognizes the different language styles and is the carrier of the language standard at all language levels.
– Has basic mathematical literacy (at different skill levels for different components of the mathematical literacy as defined in internationally recognized documents).
– Can use research methods, techniques and instruments and has skills to join action researches.
|Ability for evaluation||– Recognizes, distinguishes and respects the different ethical norms and can choose and use content and activities for encouragement of the ethical experiences and values.
– Recognizes, accepts and selects strategies for support of the multicultural values, multicultural and religious tolerance and language and confessional pluralism.
– Can choose and use content and activities that encourage creativity, positive feelings towards the artistic work and the aesthetic evaluation.
|Communication skills||-Can communicate in the standard language norm of the national (Macedonian) language and in his/her mother tongue.
-Recognizes and uses the terminology that is characteristic for the profession.
– Can choose content and activities that develop the ecological awareness and culture, as a form of communication between man and nature.
– Knows the basic characteristics and advantages of team work and can use the modern cooperative techniques for participation and coordination of the team activities.
– Knows the advantages and selects modern techniques of collaboration with related institutions and the local community.
– Knows and understands the principles for creating a stimulating learning environment and uses strategies for encouraging a positive socio-emotional climate in the institution/group.
|Learning skill||– Knows, understands and accepts his/her professional role in the modern society, knows the competencies that needs to be in command of, and understands the need of continuous professional development.
– Can find, process, use and share professional and scientific information from the area.
– Can use information-computer technology forsharingprofessional information and can select and use information in the interest of modernization of the educational process.
1.3. Specific descriptors of the qualifications
|Knowledge and understanding||– Has knowledge from the area of librarianship.
– Has knowledge and understanding about the institutional position of the libraries.
– Has knowledge about traditional and electronic publishing.
– Has knowledge and understanding about the social and cultural dimension of librarianship.
– Knows, understands and distinguishes educational and functional objectives in the realization of content from the area of librarianship.
– Has knowledge and skills of ICT and other modern strategies / means in the area of librarianship.
|Use of the knowledge and understanding||– Has skills for organizing, searching and finding library material.
– Can catalogue library material (literary funds, music and all other types of library material).
– Can classify the library material.
– Can digitize the library material.
-Is able to form, organize and manage the library funds.
– Can use ICT in the library.
-Is able to protect the library and the library material.
-Is able to organize, search, interpret and present the library information.
-Is able to collaborate with the readers and the users of the library services.
-Is able to develop positive feelings in the children and the students about the value of the books and can stimulate, i.e. motivate them to read.
-Is able to manage collections and funds;
-Is able to use the knowledge in practice in a flexible manner.
– Can use analytical-synthetic methods for learning and in the solving of problems.
|Ability for evaluation||-Is able to find, process, use and share vocational and scientific information.
-Is able to self-organize and plan.
-Is characterized by (self)initiative, (self)criticism and confidence.
-Is ethical and recognizes the existence of the different ethical norms.
– Has a skill for aesthetic experience and valuation.
-Is a reflexive practitioner – uses specific research methods, techniques and instruments in the area of librarianship.
-Is able to research, analyze, and present professional and other type of literature.
|Communication skills||-Is able to collaborate, exchange experiences, and take part inteam work.
-Is able to communicate in the language standard (Macedonian, Albanian, Turkish).
-Is able to communicate at an academic level in the professional communication with people of same or different vocational profile.
-Is able to communicate in a foreign language.
-Is able to collaborate with the local community, the primary schools, the high schools, faculties and other related institutions.
– Can choose content and strategies for establishing a positive communication climate in the realization of his/her library activities.
-Is able to understand and promote the multicultural values and the multicultural tolerance in the readers and users of the library services.
-Understands the relationships between the producers, mediators and users of the library information.
-Is able to organize and realize additional forms of work in the library (popularization of the book, bringing the book closer to the youngest, etc.).
|Learning skill||– Has learning skills.
-Has awareness about the continuous professional development.
– Has a positive attitude towards the innovations.
4. Legal-normative regulation of the concept and founding of the program of study
The development of the program of study, the determination of its entity and the need for it, the social and vocational usefulness, the objectives and tasks, unequivocally come from the positive legislation of the Republic of Macedonia,
The program of study for Librarianship is based on the following legal-normative regulation (the legal and the relevant subordinate legislation acts and documents):
- The Law for High Education (Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No. 35, brought on the 14th of March, 2008);
- The Law for Culture (Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No.: 66/03 – fair copy, 82/05, 24/07, 116/10, 51/11 and 132/12);
- The Law for Libraries (Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No.: 66/2004, 89/2008, 116/10, 51/11);
- The Statute of the University “Ss. Cyril and Methodius” – Skopje, 2008:
- The National Program for Development of the Education in the Republic of Macedonia until 2015;
- The National Strategy for Development of the Culture of Macedonia in the Period 2013 – 2017.
1.5. Employment opportunities, joining a higher cycle of studies and mobility
The students who will complete the course for Librarianship will have a wide range of opportunities for creative employment in the national and university libraries, and in specialized, public, school, and other cultural-educational and informational institutions. The new staff will create and realize the library policy, strategies and promote the development and functioning of the libraries in the Republic of Macedonia.
The acquisition of 240 credits from the first cycle of studies allows enrollment in studies from the second cycle, which are organized and carried out in the following academic year. This also allows enrollment at second cycle studies at programs of studies at institutions for high education in the Republic of Macedonia and abroad.
Great mobility is provided between the programs of study of the faculty through equivalence of the subjects, which is increased by an adequate choice of subjects from the university list of free elective subjects. According to ECTS, mobility of the students from the study group of the Faculty towards related study group of the University and other universities in the county and abroad is provided.
1.6. Academic and associate staff
Academic workers and assistants from the respective area are engaged in the realization of the instruction (of one or more subject programs), which is the basis for an interdisciplinary approach in the base education of the future elementary teacher.