About the program of study
The Faculty of Pedagogy “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje is an institution for high education with a long history and rich tradition. It holds an important place in the Macedonian educational system as a productive center and a training ground of staff, which continues the mission and work of the great teacher and educator – St. Clement of Ohrid. This institution is named after him. The new times and the future that impose rapid pace in all segments of life bring great challenges. However, it is an even greater challenge all these changes to become a part of the education of our children, without losing the connection to the tradition and culture and keeping the high spiritual, moral and literary values inherited from our ancestors. By accepting the challenges of the new times, the globalization and the modern flows in the European and world education, and by preserving the connection not only with its official beginning in the distant year of 1947, but also with the beginnings of the literacy in this area, through St. Clement’s Literary School, the Faculty of Pedagogy “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje firmly and successfully fulfills its academic mission, leaving a mark in the Macedonian education.
The program of study for the first cycle of Preschool education is carried out according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), and it lasts 4 years, i.e. 8 semesters and it awards 240 credits, 30 credits each semester. The instruction is carried out in Macedonian, Albanian and Turkish.
The program of study for the first cycle of studies for Preschool education includes 60% mandatory subjects, 30% elective subjects offered by the Faculty and 10% free elective subjects from the University list. The students enrolled at this program, during the eight semesters attend and take exams for 29 mandatory subjects (31 exams in the Albanian and Turkish instructional language), 14 for elective subjects from the 35 offered in the frame of the program of study for Preschool education, as well as 5 for subjects from the university list of free elective subjects.
The instruction in the program of study for Preschool education is modern and it follows the latest trends of the European and world preschool education, by being up-to-date with the latest scientific knowledge from all areas covered by the Institute of Preschool Education. Many methods and activities are used to bring the instruction closer to the students, for optimal connecting of theory and practice and for a successful realization of the program of study, and the programs of all the subjects, such as: interactive education, mentor instruction, learning by solving problem situations, practical exercises, individual work, group work, consultations, etc. Different methodological and didactic means are used in the instructional process with the objective to provide quality instruction and help the students learn the content. Also, the students have an opportunity to continuously keep up with the latest world accomplishments in the areas of science, literature, art, etc. through the rich literary fund that the Library and the Media-library offer and the free access to all needed data and information provided by the electronic services.
The practical training of the students is a part of the program of study for Preschool education, to which special attention is paid, in order to enable them to successfully join the educational process in the preschool institutions. This program of study includes three mandatory forms for practical training of the students:
- Pedagogical practice 1, 2, 3, 4
- Hospitations (methodological-didactic)
- Pedagogical internship (it is carried out in semester 8)
Our goal is to continuously improve and supplementthese forms of practical training of the students with new methods and ways of practical work and by new forms of collaboration with all relevant factors, such as: preschool institutions, the local self-government, the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy, other relevant institutions from the governmental and non-governmental sector, organizations and associations, etc. In this way, the students have an opportunity for a greater involvement in the different forms of practical instruction, the different projects and processes of acquisition of knowledge by connecting the acquired theoretical knowledge to the demands of the practice.
The Study regimen is regulated by a Decision concerning the conditions, criteria and rules for attending the first cycle of studies at the Faculty of Pedagogy “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje. It is included in a shortened form in the Elementary Education Information Booklet, as a Manual for the students.
Dear students, you are future academic citizens! By choosing to join the course for Preschool education at the Faculty of Pedagogy “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje, you choose a noble profession to work with children and you have a noble mission to make good, smart and successful students from them. You will have the opportunity to be the first teacher of a child in the perennial school development and the first model according to which the child will grow and develop intellectually and emotionally. Learn and educate yourself so you can teach and educate the child, who will see the first image of the societythrough you. Teach the children to speak their mother tongue properly, to behave in a good manner, encourage their great curiosity, and develop their love for books, nature and people. Be the first source of knowledge in their childish world, be the first sign-post towards the real world. All of the potential and capacities of the Faculty of Pedagogy “St. Kliment Ohridski” through its teaching and associate staff involved in the program of study for Preschool education are at your disposal.
Prof. Elizabeta Bandilovska, PhD
Head of the Instituteof Preschool Education
- DESCRIPTION OF THE EDUCATIONAL PROFILE
1.1. Professional title
The candidate receives the title bachelor of preschool educationafter defending the bachelor thesis.
1.2. General descriptors of the qualifications
|Knowledge and understanding||– Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the social and cultural dimension of the educational / cultural-educational institution.
– Knows, understands and distinguishes educational and functional objectives in the realization of the activities of the educational / cultural-educational institution.
|Use of the knowledge and understanding||– Is trained to do academic reading and writing and applies the standards for orthography and orthoepy.
– Can use the functional language literacy and recognize the different language styles and is the carrier of the language standard at all language levels.
– Has basic mathematical literacy (at different skill levels for different components of the mathematical literacy as defined in internationally recognized documents).
– Can use research methods, techniques and instruments and has skills to join action researches.
|Ability for evaluation||– Recognizes, distinguishes and respects the different ethical norms and can choose and use content and activities to encourage the ethical experiences and values.
– Recognizes, accepts and selects strategies to support the multicultural values, multicultural and religious tolerance and language and confessional pluralism.
– Can choose and use content and activities that encourage creativity, and positive feelings towards the artistic work and the aesthetic evaluation.
|Communication skills||– Can communicate in the standard language norm of the national (Macedonian) language and in his/her mother tongue.
– Recognizes and uses the professionalterminology.
– Can choose content and activities that develop the ecological awareness and culture, as a form of communication between man and nature.
– Knows the basic characteristics and advantages of team work and can use the modern cooperative techniques for participation and coordination of the team activities.
– Knows the advantages and selects modern techniques of collaboration with related institutions and the local community.
– Knows and understands the principles for creating a stimulating learning environment and uses strategies for encouraging a positive socio-emotional climate in the institution/group.
|Learning skill||– Knows, understands and accepts his/her professional role in the modern society, knows the competencies that he/she needs to be in command of, and understands the need of continuous professional development.
– Can find, process, use and share professional and scientific information from his/her area.
– Can use information-computer technology in the sharing of information from professional character and can select and use information in the interest of modernization of the educational process.
Specific descriptors of the qualifications
|Knowledge and understanding||– Has knowledge from the areas of pedagogy, school pedagogy, and sociology of the education, psychology, and didactics.
-Knows and understands the role of the organized institutionalized preschool educational system and its organizational and program positioning.
-Knows and distinguishes modern preschool educational systems and concepts, understands their historical, sociological and philosophical bases and their institutional positioning.
– Knows and understands the developmental laws and the individual characteristics, differences and needs of the children/students.
– Knows and distinguishes the educational and functional objectives and understands the need for their integration in the education of the children.
– Knows and understands the standards for early learning and development of the children at early childhood age and preschool age and knows and understands the laws of education in the period of early childhood development.
– Knows and understands the need for coordination of the activities of the educational factors in the community.
|Use of the knowledge and understanding||-Evaluates and understands the needs of the children and their potentials and uses adequate pedagogical activities for their educational treatment.
-Can use information-computer technology to plan, realize and evaluate the educational process.
– Distinguishes the preschool educational program modules and can make a selection based on the environmental and cultural value systems.
– Can use educational strategies adequate to the developmental and individual potentials, needs and abilities of the children/students at early childhood age and at preschool age.
– Knows and understands the content of the educational areas/subjects and can study and modernize it further.
– Distinguishes, understands and uses adequately the didactic-methodological properties of the educational work (methods, forms, principles, means, etc.) and can use modern educational technology that is specific for the preschool and the early school educational process.
– Is able to plan, organize and realize educational activities in the preschool institutions, as well as lessons in the early childhood period, and can integrate content from one or more educational areas.
– Is able to notice ongoing educational problems and can use different adequate activities to solve them.
– Is able to use sociological knowledge to solve educational problems.
– Is able to encourage the children to learn independently through research and other active methods of learning.
– Is able to maintain and promote the psychophysical and health development of the children at preschool age.
– Is able to use strategies to identify and work with gifted children.
|Ability for evaluation||– Has knowledge and skills for monitoring, evaluation and recording of the accomplishments of the children/students.
– Is able to select educational strategies and methodological activities adequate to the individual needs of the children/students.
|Communication skills||– Knows and uses strategies of pedagogical communication and can select modern models of managing the educational group/grade.
– Knows and understands the values of the family as a primary educational community, and understands, promotes and uses the advantages, forms and principles of the partner-based, educational relationship between the educational institution and the family.
– Knows and uses strategies for involvement of the community and the families in the life and work of the educational institution and can use the shared activities for synchronized educational influence.
– Has skills for using the principles, forms and methods of the interactive communication in the educational process, and stimulates interaction and uses skills for regulating the social and interactive behavior of the children/students in the group.
– Distinguishes differences in the educational climate of the families of the children/students and uses cooperative techniques for their support.
– Distinguishes differences among the children/students, carries out modern strategies for their respect and uses models to encourage mutual acceptance and tolerance.
– Uses methods and principles of educational work, as well as modern models, skills and techniques for managing the educational group.
– Is able to develop mechanisms for group life and work, cooperative learning and collaboration among the children in the group.